CNN, cnn.com or the Cable News Network is a TV news network that was founded in 1980 and has been described by history.com as "the world’s first 24-hour television news network".
Instances it has been accused of spreading fake news
Milo Yiannopoulos story
On 20 February 2017, CNN's Jim Sciutto made the claim that an interview with Milo Yiannopoulos "emerged in which Milo appears to advocate for relationships between young boys and adult men". The statement that the video "emerged" was criticised by "The Drunken Peasants", the hosts of the show on which Milo was interviewed that day and made that statement. The video had been around since 4 January 2016 and had been viewed over 250,000 times on YouTube before CNN reported on it, according to "The Drunken Peasants". Whether or not Jim was aware of that or not is a subject of possible debate, but it is undebatable that the video was there for the public to see on YouTube well over a year before Jim and CNN reported on it. Depending on your interpretation of "emerged", you would know whether or not this falls under your definition of fake news. Maybe Jim was confused by the fact that "The Reagan Battalion" had tweeted a small clip from the video on 19 February 2017, which "The Reagan Battalion" described as "the uncut 5 minute video". The video is over 2 hours long.
Accusations of staging a pro-Muslim shot hours after the 3 June 2017 terror attacks
Hours after the 3 June 2017 London terror attacks, CNN set up a shot in which Muslims were directed to stand in a certain location as CNN reporter Becky Anderson read out their signs, which contains statements condemning ISIS and so forth. Many people felt this was "solid evidence of CNN International creating a pro-Muslim narrative". CNN issued the following statement -- which apparently didn't address the fact that protesters were being told where to stand -- in response to the accusations:
- This story is nonsense. The group of demonstrators that was at the police cordon was being allowed through by officers so they could show their signs to the gathered media. The CNN crew along with other media present simply filmed them doing so.
- "CNN launches". history.com. 1 June 2017. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "Did Milo Yiannopoulos Defend Pedophilia On Our Show? - Cool Cat Creator's Gun DVD - More - DPP #330". YouTube. "The Drunken Peasants". 21 February 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "CPAC pulls invitation to controversial 'provocateur'" . msn.com. CNN. 20 February 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Milo Yiannopoulos - PaulsEgo - TheAmazingAtheist - and More! DPP #193". YouTube. "Drunken Peasants". 4 January 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- German Lopez (24 February 2017). "Meet the 16-year-old Canadian girl who took down Milo Yiannopoulos". vox.com. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Colby Hall (4 June 2017). "CNN Rebuts Claim They 'Staged' a Pro-Muslim Shot During London Aftermath". mediaite.com. Retrieved 6 June 2017.