Gerwald took to wearing both a kufiya (كوفية) and a Star of David. This became a habit of his after he was rebuked by Charlotte Knobloch, at that time the President of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, for wearing a kufiya. She held that it stood for nationalism, armed fighting and anti-Zionism. That was when he decided to start wearing a Star of David around his neck as well.
- 'Gerwald Claus-Brunner, PIRATEN'. Abgeordnetenhaus Berlin. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- 'Ermittlungen im Fall Claus-Brunner sind abgeschlossen'. yahoo.com. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- 'Pirat Gerwald Claus-Brunner mit 44 Jahren gestorben'. welt.de. 21 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- Derek Scally (21 September 2016). 'Murder adds to shock of German politician's suicide'. irishtimes.com. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Naemi Goldapp (23 September 2016). 'Claus-Brunner am Tattag mit der Sackkarre vorm Späti'. welt.de. Retrieved 8 October 2016.