Murder of Seth Rich
Seth C. Rich (3 January 1989 - 10 July 2016) was a computer-voting specialist for the Democratic National Committee (DNC) who was shot at 4:19 a.m. on 10 July 2016 as he was walking in his neighborhood in Washington DC. His wallet, credit cards, cellphone and wristwatch, whose band was torn, were not taken. Approximately an hour and forty minutes after the arrival of the police he succumbed to his wounds in the hospital at 5:57. After drinking some ale, he had left Lou's City Bar around 1:45 and had told the manager that he was going to the Wonderland Ballroom. He was on the phone with his girlfriend Kelsey Mulka when he was shot. He was shot in the back. Police arrived on scene on motorcycles about one minute after the gunfure. His father said: 'He was in a scuffle, as they can tell from bruises that he had.'
About Seth Rich
Seth's parents are Mary and Joel Rich and his brother is Aaron Rich, who married Molly Zwerdlinger shortly before Seth's death. Seth received a BA in political science in 2011 from Creighton University. During Seth's time at Creighton University, his parents were apprehensive about the fact that it is a Jesuit school. He was working as Deputy Director-Data-for-Voter Protection/Expansion at DNC headquarters in Washington DC at the time of his death. He had computer expertise that he applied to developing software related to voting. Seth's father said: 'He [Seth] had just been asked to join the Clinton campaign four days before he was murdered.' His funeral service was held at Beth El Synagogue on 13 July 2016 and was followed by his burial at Beth El Cemetery in Omaha, Nebraska.
Julian Assange from WikiLeaks has suggested in an interview with the Dutch television program Nieuwsuur that Seth was murdered because he was a WikiLeaks informant. In the interview, Julian said: 'Whistleblowers go to significant efforts to get us material, and often very significant risks.' The interviewer asked him whether he thought it was a robbery, to which Julian responded that there wasn't a finding yet in the case. The interviewer then asked him what he was suggesting, to which Julian responded: 'I'm suggesting that our sources take risks and they become concerned to see things occurring like that.' WikiLeaks has offered a 20,000 dollar reward in addition to the 25,000 offered by police for information that would lead to the conviction of Seth's murderer.
Someone leaked information to WikiLeaks that lead to the firing of three top DNC officials. This information showed, Julian said, that, 'the election campaign of Bernie Sanders was sabotaged in a corrupt manner'. There is an additional conspiracy theory that Russia leaked the information, but WikiLeaks does not reveal the sources of their information; there is a third conspiracy theory that hacker Guccifer 2.0 did it.
In the wake of the leak, the DNC's CEO Amy Dacey, chief finance officer Brad Marshall, and communications director Luis Miranda resigned from the DNC. It was being alleged that there was bias in the Democratic camp against Bernie Sanders and his presidential campaign. Brad had written in an email that, 'He [Bernie Sanders] had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps. My Southern Baptist peeps would draw a big difference between a Jew and an atheist.' DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who had called Bernie's campaign manager Jeff Weaver a liar in an email she wrote, agreed to step down from her position as chairperson.
- 'Rich, Seth C.' 'Omaha World-Herald'. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- 'Seth Conrad Rich'. 'The Jewish Press'. 20 July 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Jeff Stein (20 August 2016). 'SETH RICH: INSIDE THE KILLING OF THE DNC STAFFER'. 'Newsweek'. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- Louise Boyle (16 August 2016). 'EXCLUSIVE: Murdered DNC staffer was about to join Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, reveals father'. 'Daily Mail'. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Marina Marraco (18 August 2016). 'What happened during final hours slain DNC employee Seth Rich was alive?' Fox 5. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- 'Assange belooft nieuwe onthullingen over Clinton'. 'Nieuwsuur'. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- 'WikiLeaks Offers $20K Reward for Information in Murder of DNC Staffer'. nbcwashington.com. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- WikiLeaks mum on source of damaging DNC emails, says real issue is proof Sanders 'sabotaged'. Fox News. 31 July 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Jason Silverstein (10 August 2016). 'Family of slain Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich tells Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to stop spreading conspiracy theories'. nydailynews.com. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Theodore Schleifer, Eugene Scott (25 July 2016). 'What was in the DNC email leak?' CNN. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- 'Heads roll at DNC: 3 top officials out after email hack'. foxnews.com. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.